Three of the most common questions received from foreigners over the past few weeks are:
- What is the Phuket Sandbox program?
- What are the entry requirements for foreigners traveling to Phuket under the program?
- Where can I get COVID-19 insurance for the Phuket sandbox?
Q. What is the Phuket Sandbox program?
A. Launched on July 1, 2021, the Phuket Sandbox program allows fully vaccinated foreign and Thai travelers to enter Thailand without quarantine. Although they do not have to quarantine in the hotel, they must remain in Phuket for the first 2 weeks. After that time they are free to travel as they please. A similar program has since been established for Samui Island (called the Samui Plus program). After the first 3 days, visitors are allowed to travel on “sealed routes” as long as they travel with service operators that have received approval under the Samui Plus scheme. The Samui Plus model includes the islands Koh Samui, Koh Phangan & Koh Tao. If they test negative in their third test, which is taken on day 12 or day 13 of their arrival, they can travel to other provinces after completing the 14-day Samui Plus program.
To be eligible for the Phuket Sandbox or Samui Plus program foreign travelers must travel from countries/regions with a low to medium risk of COVID-19 as announced and constantly updated by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH). They must also have already stayed in the said countries/regions no less than 21 days before the travel date. International travelers must have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no less than 14 days before the travel date.
Both the Phuket Sandbox or Samui Plus programs have been established by the Thai authorities in an effort to reopen the country for International Tourists. Other similar programs are set to follow.
Q: What are the entry requirements for foreigners traveling to Phuket or Samui under these programs?
A: Visitors should make sure they have covered all the necessary requirements and have all the required documentation. This includes:
- A passport with at least six months validity;
- Have been in a Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) approved country for 21 days or more;
- Been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) or the World Health Organisation (WHO);
- Have booked and purchased return air travel;
- Have booked and paid for accommodation, and required RT-PCR test/s at an SHA Plus hotel;
- Have purchased medical insurance with COVID-19 treatment coverage of at least US$100,000;
- Have tested negative for COVID-19 no longer than 72 hours before travel.
Q: Where can I get COVID 19 Insurance for the Phuket Sandbox ( or Samui Plus) program?
A: In order to enter Thailand under either of these programs you’ll need to secure COVID-19 Insurance that meets the requirements of the Thai authorities which includes:
- Coverage of up to THB 3.5 million (equivalent to at least USD $100,000) for medical expenses due to injury or sickness including COVID-19
- The insurance policy must cover the length of your stay in Thailand. It can be 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, or even 12 months.
Note: You must ensure that you retain the certificate of insurance, to prove that you have the required coverage. Without it, you will not be granted entry into the country. Also, note that this policy will be in addition to any general health insurance policy that you may need to obtain your visa or retirement extensions.
To purchase the correct COVID Insurance and receive the certificate within minutes, please check this page.
Thai Expat Health makes it EASY for foreigners to obtain the certificate of insurance required to meet the Thai government’s entry requirement (insurance covering all medical expenses including COVID-19 and worth at least 100,000 USD). We have assisted many clients to receive their certificate of insurance in the FASTEST possible time with a MINIMUM of fuss. Our service is provided FREE of charge and you benefit from our personalized help and experience.
Please contact Thai Expat Club / Health if you have any questions or require any further information
Telephone or WhatsApp +6689-897-9435